Saturday, August 15, 2009

A New World Record

I have a vast collection of books, and I wonder to myself; What exactly is the purpose of writing fiction? They are meaningless records through which we (the reader) can imagine that we are escaping our rather bland lives into something that is much more exciting and reliable to have a happy ending.

Twilight, for example, is a popular book written by a Woman for Teenage girls. I had the chance to skim through it sitting on a bus, and while it did seem to have a decent and articulate writing style, the only thing that particularily screamed out to me was that Meyer had created an impossibly perfect boyfriend figure.
The very mention of the title "Twilight" elicts screaming fans from across the room to butt in and mention just how wonderful and delightful Edward Cullens (The main character) is. When asked about the particular nusances of the writing style, I feel as if I had asked several kindergarten school children Where In the World Waldo really is.

My favorite fiction characters are wonderfully complex; they have flaws, personalities, and feel as if they're actually someone on this world; it's mindboggling how by creating a flat, two dimensional character, Meyer managed to be one of the most popular authors in our generation. He's mysterious, he's caring, and he's definitely hawt, but that's about all there is to him.

And on a final note, I realize that this generation will forever be remembered as the generation that grew up with Harry Potter, Twilight, and "lik omg!" texts.

I refute that, and post this blog for future "I TOLD YOU SO!" reference.


No comments: