Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Evolution

Specifically, human evolution. What pushed us to the top of the food chain? I know many people who would likely say, despite much evidence to the contrary, that it was due to our intelligence.

Obviously, these same people have never spent a negligble amount of time on the internet.

What I believe, however, is not our intelligence, or our dashing good looks. Rather, I feel that our ability to get bored provided us with the ability to evolve rather quickly. Animals do not get bored. I have seen this in my dog, who appears completely satisifed in chasing it's own tail day after day.

Human boredom has led to many discoverys. Only a human with that much time on his hands would fly a kite during a thunder storm. Only a human would see what happens when you throw a rock at the sleeping behemoth (which upon awakening, will probably spend some time trying to line up its brain cells to figure out whether to trample you, or gouge you, before having the third cell wander away and think about the nice rock it found yesterday).

Boredom has pushed us to the top of the evolutionary ladder. Therefore, I think I should stop playing Guitar Hero, for the sole purpose of gaining an evolutionary advantage over my peers.

No comments: